I checked out various recipes online and this is the one I put together as a starting one. It came out fine, the water ratio was a bit low. I will cook it about 5 minutes less next time.
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cups water
1 cups freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated orange zest (optional)
1 teaspoon grated ginger (optional)
3 pieces of clove (optional)
- Wash oranges finely. Grate just the orange colored part of them until their white surface.
- Peel the oranges and cut into rectangules, or as you wish.
- Fill a large bowl with cold water and put orange peel into this water overnight. This will help remove the bitterness.
- Next day, put them in a pot and fill it with water. Boil it for about 8-10 minutes and drain. Re-fill and boil it for another 8-10 minutes and drain. Repeat this 3-4 times until the bitterness is removed.
- Drain them for the last time and set aside.
- Mix sugar, water and orange juice and bring to a boil. Remove the foam.
- Add orange peels and simmer about 1 hour.
- About 15 minutes before it is cooked, add orange zest, ginger, clove and lemon juice.
- Once it passes the plate test, as explained here, remove from heat and pour into a jar. Once cooled store in the refrigerator.