So far this is my best sourdough bread! I still have to work on having big holes inside the bread. But the crust was perfect!
3/4 cup starter
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup water
1 tablespoon salt
- Remove the refreshed starter from the refrigerator and measure it out 1 hour before making the bread to take off the chill. Transfer the starter to a small bowl, cover with a towel or plastic wrap, and allow it to warm up for 1 hour.
- Add the flour to the bowl and mix together all the ingredients. It is about the texture of French bread dough. Lightly oil a small bowl and place the dough in the bowl, turning to coat it with oil. Cover the bowl.
- Proof at room temperature for approximately 4 hours. Fold the dough twice during proofing.
- Gently remove the dough from the bowl, and divide 3 equal pieces, being careful to degas the dough as little as possible. Gently shape the dough into desired shape.
- Place the shaped dough on parchment-lined sheet pans that have been dusted with semolina flour or cornmeal. Let it rise for 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 500°F and make sure to have an empty steam pan in place.
- Score the dough. Pour 1 cup hot water into the steam pan and close the door. After 30 seconds, open the door, spray the side walls of the oven with water, and close the door. Repeat twice more at 30-second intervals. After the final spray, turn the oven setting down to 450°F and bake for 10 minutes. Rotate the dough 180 degree, if necessary, for even baking and continue baking for 10 to 20 minutes longer, until the loaves are done.
Source: The Fresh Loaf