This is one of my favorite Turkish desserts. I like the cold, sweet taste and the feel of semolina pieces in your mouth compare to the other desserts that use flour.
1/2 cup semolina
2/3 cup flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup + 2 tbsp granulated sugar
500 ml water
4-5 drops lemon juice
- 8 x 8 x 2 inch oven Pyrex dish or regular cake tray
- Boil the syrup ingredients for a few minutes, put aside and let warm.
- Use a mixer to blend the wet ingredients for a few minutes until the sugar melts. Then mix together the dry ingredients with a spoon in another bowl. Combine the two thorougly, again using the mixer.
- Grease the bottom and sides of the Pyrex dish and place in the mixture. Preheat the oven to 175°C (375°F) and bake for 25 minutes. Cut Revani into nine equal square pieces. Then pour the warm syrup on top while the cake is still warm. Use a tablespoon to do this and make sure to do it slowly so the cake absorbs the syrup equally.
- Let cool and serve Revani with chopped pistachios or walnuts. Keep this dessert in the fridge.
Source: Binnur’s Turkish Cookbook