I love mousakka with eggplant or zucchini. There are different versions of mousakka depending on the location. You can add meat or chicken to this recipe, or keep it vegetarian.
4 medium zucchinis, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
3-4 tomatoes, diced or 1 can of petite diced tomato
1 cup of canned garbanzo beans
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 1/2 tbsp red pepper paste or chile sauce
1/2 bunch parsley, finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint or 1 tbsp dried mint flakes
- Prepare a bowl of salty water and soak sliced zucchini for half an hour.
- Soak 1/2 cup of TVP with almost 1/2 cup of boiling hot water.
- Heat 2 tablespoon olive oil in a broad deep pan.
- Add garlic and onion, cook for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and pepper paste (or chile sauce). Let simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in diced tomato. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini slices. Cook on medium heat, stirring, until tender.
- Stir in garbanzo beans. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Transfer zucchini musakka into a bowl. Sprinkle with mint and parsley.
- Musakkas are always good with white rice and yogurt.
Source: Almost Turkish