I like different types of biscotti. This one is with cranberries and almonds. They are great to dip into your coffee! You can find different variations here.
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons Canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs, or 1 large egg and 4 egg whites
3/4 cup slivered almonds
1/4 to 1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a heavy or cushioned cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, cranberries, almonds, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine oil, vanilla, almond extract, and eggs and add to flour mixture. This may be done by hand or in an electric mixer, at low speed. Mix until the ingredients are well blended, but be careful not to overdo it or the biscotti will be tough. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead lightly a few times. Divide the dough into thirds and form into 4 10″ rolls (or 2 wider rolls to create extra long dipping biscotti). Place rolls 6″ apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray and flatten each roll slightly, to 1″ in thickness.
- Place in the pre-heated oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Allow rolls to cool for five minutes.
- Using a serrated knife, carefully cut each roll diagonally into 18 1/2″ slices. Reserve the tiny end slices for snacks.
- Place dough slices, bottom-side down, on the baking sheet. Reduce the oven temperature to 325°F and bake 20 minutes more. Cool completely on a wire rack (so the biscotti don’t become soggy as they cool).
- Biscotti freeze beautifully. When completely cooled, reassemble slices back into a log. Wrap each log tightly in aluminum foil and place in a freezer bag. Freeze for up to two months.