One of the most popular bakery items in Naples and Campania, actually all of the south of Italy.
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground fennel seed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup pine nuts
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter, sugar, vanilla, fennel seed, and salt in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg.
- Add the flour and mix just until blended.
- Transfer the dough to a sheet of plastic wrap. Shape the dough into an 8-inch-long log. Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line heavy large baking sheets with a silpat or parchment paper.
- Cut the dough log crosswise into 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick slices.
- Transfer the cookies to the prepared baking sheets, spacing evenly apart.
- Press the pine nuts decoratively atop the cookies.
- Bake until the cookies are golden around the edges, about 15 minutes.
Source: Food Network