I used to bake my mom’s carrot cake. Then I found this recipe last week. It is softer and lighter.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1+1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1+3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of grated nutmeg
4 tbsp sweetened shredded coconut
4 large eggs
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup grapeseed oil (or canola oil)
3/4 pounds finely grated raw carrots (about 2+1/2 cups)
5 ounces walnut halves, toasted and chopped
1 tbsp butter + more for the pan for the Bundt cake pan
1/4 cup powdered sugar, for serving (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (170°C) and place a rack in the center of the oven. Butter a 9-inch Bundt cake pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, shredded coconut and ground cinnamon. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs with the sugars until the batter is thick and light colored.
- Add the oil and whisk to combine.
- Add the flour mixture and stir just until incorporated.
- With a large rubber spatula fold in the grated carrots and chopped nuts. Pour the batter into the Bundt pan and bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack. After about 5 -10 minutes invert the cake onto a serving platter.
- Right before serving, dust with powdered sugar.
Source: Cafe Fernando