It is easy to make and just like its name, it is very light, and soft. Be careful, this recipe requires some butter! I recommend it for toasts and dipping.
4 to 4 ½ cups bread flour
2 packages dry yeast
1 tablespoon each sugar & salt
1 ½ cups hot water
1/3 cup butter
1 egg white, slightly beaten, mixed w/ 1 tablespoon water
- Mix all ingredients; knead until the dough is smooth and elastic. The dough will be soft and warm.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover w/ plastic wrap, and leave at room temperature until it doubles in volume, about 1 hour.
- Knead for 30 seconds to flatten the dough and press out the bubbles. Divide into 2 pieces, roll into a baguette. Place on the baking sheet. Cover the loaves and leave at room temperature until the loaves double in volume, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F 20 minutes before baking.
- Make ½” deep slash down the top of the loaf w/ sharp knife. Brush the loaves w/ egg white mixture. Bake until they are light and shiny brown, about 25 minutes.