It is a delicious Italian dish. All the flavors mix together. Serve chicken cacciatore with spaghetti or other pasta.
4 skinless chicken breast halves on the bone, about 2 pounds
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 pound white mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can whole tomatoes in juice, chopped and juice reserved
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes or more to taste
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan over moderately-high heat. Brown the chicken on both sides, about 8 minutes. Remove the chicken.
- Reduce the heat to moderate. Add the onion and pepper, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms begin to brown.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add the wine and cook until reduced by half.
- Add the tomatoes and juice, oregano, red pepper flakes and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and simmer the mixture covered for 10 minutes.
- Return the chicken breasts to the pan and simmer, covered, until the chicken is just done, about 20 minutes longer.
Source: Food Network