I try not to eat too much fried food. This recipe is similar to American funnel cake with a Mediterranean twist, such as orange water.
4 cups plus 2 tablespoons unbleached all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 extra-large eggs
2 cups buttermilk
2 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 – 2 tablespoons pure almond extract, to taste
5-6 tablespoons range flower water, to taste
Powdered sugar and cinnamon (optional)
- Heat the oil to 375 °F.
- Over a large mixing bowl, sift to combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and baking powder.
- Make a large well in the center and pour in the eggs, buttermilk, honey, almond extract, and orange flower water. Whisk together the liquid ingredients and slowly draw in the dry ingredients.
- The mixture should be fairly smooth before you draw in more flour.
- Fill the pastry bag half full and pipe the batter directly into the hot oil, slowly make long lines. After you’ve piped wait until it gets golden brown, and flip the other side.
- Remove to a plate and sift powdered sugar and cinnamon (optional) over the top.
Source: Nancy Silverton’s Pastries from the La Brea Bakery