These muffins have a beautiful golden brown crust and are absolutely bursting with flavorful berries. They are delicious warm from the oven.
2 1/2 cups (350 grams) all-purpose flour
3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
Zest of one orange
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup (180 ml) buttermilk
2/3 cup (160 ml) safflower or canola oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups fresh or frozen berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and/or strawberries)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Position rack in center of oven. Butter or spray with a non stick cooking spray 12 – 2 3/4 x 1 1/2 inch muffin cups. Set aside.
- In a large measuring cup or bowl whisk together the egg, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla extract.
- In another large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and orange zest. Gently fold in the berries. With a rubber spatula fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir only until the ingredients are combined. Do not over mix the batter or tough muffins will result.
- Fill each muffin cup almost full of batter, using two spoons or an ice cream scoop. Place in the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for about 5 minutes before removing from pan. Dust with powdered sugar.
Source: Joy of Baking