This basic sauce is; one of the mother sauces of French cuisine. You better learn how to prepare it. A lot of recipes uses this sauce.
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups whole milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Pinch ground nutmeg
- Melt the butter in a heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add the flour and whisk for 3 minutes.
- Whisk in the milk. Increase the heat to medium-high.
- Whisk the sauce until it comes to a simmer and is thick and smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Whisk the salt, pepper, and nutmeg into the bechamel sauce.
Source: Food Network