I am a big fan of “Cafe Fernando”. His recipes are delicious, and the photos are even more deliciously looking. Here is Vera’s Almodrote…
2 pounds (3 large or 6 medium) zucchinis
12 oz feta cheese
6 oz (preferably stale) bread
Small bunch of fresh dill, finely chopped (I used parsley instead)
1 large egg
Freshly-ground black pepper
4 oz Gouda cheese, shredded
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Place a sieve on top of a large mixing bowl and grate the zucchinis with the largest holes on a box grater into the sieve. Squeeze with your hands to get rid of excess juice and transfer to a 9*9 inch baking dish.
- Dampen the stale bread, squeeze to drain, tear into smaller chunks and add to grated zucchinis together with the chopped dill.
- Crumble the feta cheese and add it on top. Crack an egg on top, grind some black pepper to taste and mash everything with a fork.
- Flatten the mixture gently with a spatula and sprinkle the shredded Gouda cheese on top. At this point, you can wrap the almodrote and freeze for up to a month. You do not need to thaw, just add 5-10 minutes to cooking time.
- Place in the center of the oven and bake for 45-55 minutes or until the almodrote is cooked through. If the cheese on top seems to be burning too quickly, place an aluminum foil on top halfway through baking.
- Let it cool down for 10 minutes, then serve.
Source: Cafe Fernando